Thursday, April 15, 2010

Call for action: Geo-spatial in MySQL needs your support

At the MySQL UC, I went to a talk on MySQL for Geospatial applications, as for those of who know me and have read my blog before, you know that this is a hot topic for me! I will try to drive this a bit more, more specifically, getting the "real" MySQL functions for Geospatial applications, that currently only exists in a MySQL Preview release, and have them firmly in the MySQL GA version. This will happen eventually, and we need to make sure sure it happens. The current preview release is maintained and updated, so it's not that far behind the main server, and the GIS functions themselves are stable enough.

If you have an interest in this, let me know. I will try to organize some kind of community around this somehow, at least that is my plan, but first, I want to know who you are. If you have a commercial project, then that is even better, as a commercial project might help get even more drive here. But I am interested in any project. And if you have tools, ideas, code or requirements, let me know and I'll try to organize.

Drop me an email at anders@mysql.com or just comment here and watch this space for more info.

/Karlsson

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I was in the room with you. I'm the DBA for WDTinc and I'm learning about GIS in MySQL. I have worked with mapping as a developer for xastir.org.

We (WDT) use lots of GIS data. I would like to say close to what is happening and get my developers interested in use it it MySQL.